Visualizing Understanding



1) How did you select the images and digit platform for your project?
    Canva has been a reliable design and graphics website for my visual creations. For my visual I wanted the setting to be in the classroom because that is where most mindfulness education takes place, however, can also be expanded to the outdoors. I chose students sitting in a circle because this displays unity and the value of each student. (I would have rather liked to find a picture with the teacher also integrated into the circle as an equal). The thought bubbles display students releasing their stress/anxieties to focus on the present. The larger thought bubble overhead includes mindful terms I found that keep us grounded. 

2) In what ways did creating the visualization deepen your understanding of the topic in ways that reading alone might not have?
    While creating the visual I realized how our minds are constantly active with positive and negative memories. Some students' can't help these intrusive thoughts that disrupt their focus and concentration. My visual reminded me how everyone should take personal time out of their day to reflect on and address their emotions and feelings that can take a toll on both our physical and mental well-being. As we spend time learning to be compassionate to ourselves and others through mindfulness, our social and emotional learning also improves. 

3) How has the process influenced your thinking on visualization as a vehicle for learning and/or how might you use visualization in your future teaching?
    Creating this visual was a type of meditation in itself as I put aside troubled feelings/emotions and concentrated on something positive. Also, visualizations are valuable forms of self-expression that demonstrates how a person processes their thoughts and ideas. I will definitely apply visualizations in future teachings to gives students more chances to be creative using different mediums. Visualizations are very flexible and can be applied to all content areas in one way or another. I would like to see how my students can collaborate to create a mural about the importance of rainforests for science, self-portraits of a character they a role-play for a reading, or story-telling through a math problem.     




 

Comments