Welcome to My Blog!



Hello everyone! My name is Rebecca Caabay and I am pursuing my Masters in Elementary Education alternative route to licensure at the University of New Mexico. I am going into my second year of teaching 5th grade at Jefferson Elementary in Gallup, New Mexico. I am originally from the small, desert-city of Imperial, CA and I moved to Gallup shortly after I accepted my offer to join the 2019 Teach For America corps. 

I am a University of California Davis Alumni and graduated in 2018 with my BS in Biological Sciences. From the jump start of my undergraduate career, I worked for Undergraduate Admissions as a Public Advisor and had the opportunity to work closely with mostly BIPOC students on the path to attaining a higher education. My passion has always been about helping others find their passion, and I am fortunate to be able to do that through education. I have dedicated years of service as a member of the Rotary family to create a lasting change in communities, along with making friends and shaping future leaders. In the future, I hope to start my own grassroots organization around youth empowerment and activism. Throughout my journey as an educator, I hope to continue working and inspiring students to achieve their future endeavors.

I believe every student deserves an equitable education, and I am making it my mission to advocate for my students’ success in any way possible. I truly believe diversity and representation in the classroom is critical to student-inspired growth. I am grateful that through my background and experiences I am able to relate with my students and parents. Although, there is still a lot for me to learn about the community, I will dedicate my efforts to studying the history and culture for my culturally relevant teachings to be effective. Furthermore, building a safe, inclusive sense of community in the classroom through In Lak'Ech - the poem holds a powerful message of shared conflict and compassion that unites individuals to empathize with one another and work as a collective.



Comments

  1. Thank you, Rebecca. You are begin your grassroots activism as a social justice and culturally responsive educator. Take risks in your teaching in acting on what you believe to be good teaching on behalf of your students. You are a teacher leader.

    Appreciatively,
    Frances

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Visualizing Understanding