My Reading Strategies / Good Readers Are:




I use a variety of reading strategies when reading a piece of text. Mainly, I highlight main ideas, words, or phrases that stand out to me. Next, I underline other important details for reference. I double underlined important characters/people involved, and I circled a statement that held significant meaning to me. I make a lot of connections, hence the thought-bubbles, to my own experiences, other texts, and the real world. In this case, noting 'individuals outside the Native American community' so that means they're not natives/indigenous. I previously heard the word 'transient' also in reference to the homeless, so I had questioned if that was true. When the text mentioned ignoring reforms/crossing borders, my mind went to a project that was shared with me of a 5th grade class, in which they printed all the treaties that had been broken and in big, red letters wrote 'HONOR THE TREATY'. The terms 'broken system' and 'power gap' came into mind from current injustice issues that still involve the corruptness and lack of accountability of police, coroners, and government officials. Also, I visualized scenarios like 'falling into the cracks', 'concerned relatives', 'not respecting land', 'paperwork', and 'life being taken away'. At the end, I went back to re-read portions of the text to get a deeper understanding, mostly the sentence before the quote, the actual quote and final sentence (monitoring). 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Readers Are: 

Mentally - visualizing and organizing

Motivated - to read

Socially - aware

Monitoring - their thoughts

Coordinating - questions

Connecting - ideas

*Displaying - interest

*Searching - for context clues

*Exploring - new perspectives

Comments

  1. Thank you, Rebecca. I attended a workshop at UNM recently (via zoom, of course), that acknowledged sovereign lands in their introduction. This now is becoming routine practice and one long overdue, yes?

    Appreciatively,
    Frances

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Visualizing Understanding